Simple Sensory Bin Challenge Day 9
I hope you all had a great time washing the toys yesterday! Today’s challenge is a bit more difficult and time consuming but once it’s done you’ll have rainbow rice for at least a year!
Make sure you check our Facebook Group and on Instagram (use the hashtag #sensorybinchallenge ) to see what everyone has been getting up to. If you missed day 8 of the challenge you can catch up HERE. If you haven’t signed up to the challenge yet you can still join in HERE.
Today I am going to show you how to color rice. While it does take a little bit of time to do, it’s something that can be played with over and over again. Just like our colored pasta, it can be stored in an airtight container for a really long time.
The method for dying the rice is exactly the same as the pasta.
To color rice you will need:
- White Vinegar
- Food Coloring
- Ziplock bags
- Baking paper or baking trays
How to color rice
- Place the rice into ziplock bags (one for each color)
- Add a teaspoon of white vinegar and a drop or 2 of food coloring (less is best)
- Zip the bag up and shake until the color is evenly spread over the rice
- Pour the rice onto some baking sheets and leave in the sun until completely dry.
- Store in a container.
I recommend playing with the seperate colors first as you can get a few different sensory bin experiences out of them before you mix all the colors together. Obviously once you mix the colors, there’s no going back!
Some other activities you might enjoy are: